- Event Assistant – Assist nature center staff in event tasks. Special events occur year round – both educational and fundraiser events.
Nature Fest! Sunday, October 8, 2023!
- Docent- Lead group tours, assist with school field trips and educational programs. Interpret the cultural and natural resources of the American River Parkway. Applications accepted year round. Must be 18+ to apply.
- Animal Care Assistant – Provide basic care for resident animal ambassadors. Must be 14+ to volunteer.
- Fund-raising Assistant – Help implement various fundraising activities including mailings and events.
- Outreach Assistant – Provide information about the Effie Yeaw Nature Center at public events and the Sacramento region’s cultural and natural resources. Assist with or lead educational presentations, setup and/or take down of outreach gear such as tables, chairs, canopy, etc.
- Interpretive Table Host – Host a pop-up nature table program onsite. Provide information to the public and select items from our museum collections to be featured at the next pop-up.
- Habitat Restoration Member – Participate in monthly meetings. Assist in the planning and implementation of restoration projects in the Nature Study Area (NSA) and replica Maidu village.
- Habitat Restoration Assistant– Assist with the implementation of restoration projects in the Nature Study Area (NSA) and replica Maidu village. This includes weeding, watering, planting, pruning, and more.
- Habitat Restoration Work Days occur the fourth Saturday of each month from 9am-12pm. Advance sign up required.
- Nature Camp Assistant – Work alongside Staff Naturalists and Docents to provide a positive and educational experience for camp participants.
- Trail Steward – Serve as a representative of the Effie Yeaw Nature Center as you walk the trails, remove litter, educate visitors about park policies and interpret the resources of the Nature Study Area, a designated watchable wildlife area. Must be 18+ to apply.
- Receptionist– Support our daily operations. Greet visitors, answer phones, sell parking passes, programs, and process Discovery Shop transactions. Ongoing support and training provided. Shifts occur every day, except Mondays, from 9am-1pm and 1-5pm.
The qualifications, skills, minimum age, and training vary with each position. If you have a question or a skill that you think will benefit the Effie Yeaw Nature Center please do not hesitate to contact us. We are so grateful to the community of volunteers that support our mission to provide nature education and interpretation for the Sacramento region and beyond.
- Link to online Volunteer Application form for Minors 13-17 y/o
- Minor Release and Waiver of Liability– youth under 18 must have parent/guardian approval to volunteer.
- Link to online Adult Volunteer Application form
To schedule an interview, contact the Manager of Volunteer Programs, Jacqueline Ramirez, by email at email@example.com or call (916) 875-3912
Volunteers are encouraged to meet with the Manager of Volunteer Programs or their supervisors whenever necessary to discuss various scenarios that may occur. Periodic evaluations will be used to help improve the volunteer’s performance and to determine if the needs of the Nature Center are being met.
Please reach out to us with any Questions
You can always call our Volunteer Programs Manager, Jacqueline, at (916) 875-3912.